Your course and its job options

I thought about this because my daughter was considering Psychology as her Senior High track but thought counselor ang only career option. So I explained maraming puwede, like OD / talent management, employee engagement, etc.

Would be good to share your course and the non-obvious career options that go along with it.

Mine was Business Ad, very generic and allowed graduates to go to various fields (brand, sales, finance, POM). I chose Finance and started a career in Treasury (managing money and everything that goes alongside it).

2 Likes

Took up Journalism, worked in media, government and NGOs (Communications), etc, now doing Marketing in the private sector.

2 Likes

Chemical Engineering ako

‘Yung first major subject ko, Intro to Chem Engg, di ko makalimutan yung sinabi ng prof namin about prospective careers

He goes on saying engineer in various industries such as petroleum, energy, manufacturing, etc. and last but not the least, singer! Because Jeffrey Hidalgo daw :hahaha:

12 Likes

Started as a Chemical Engineering student like @calvinlucas but shifted to Communication Research, I became happier :winking: Have been in the market research industry for about a decade now… but you may also go with ad/ creatives/ digital/ media agencies as well as marketing. These would be the more popular routes.

3 Likes

Applied physics yung undergrad ko - pwede naman makapag trabaho sa mga it companies. Tas nag ms ako ng meteorology. So parang nag focus ako sa physics ng atmosphere. Meron din namang mga it companies na may wether related solutions. Or pwede din sa PAGASA. :slight_smile:

1 Like

BAA. Sabi nga ni @arwen pwede isabak kahit saan sa corporate world pero nalugmok ako sa Corporate Finance. Masaya naman madaming alam na chismis sa kumpanya (gaya ng sweldo ng mga tao :twak: )

1 Like

Computer Engineering:

Usually anything computer related, mostly hardware/firmware/ic related.

Kung swerte or magaling talaga, you can end up in one of those ‘FANG’ companies. (They sometimes do some hiring events in Manila, some do interviews over video conf). Usually they move you to Vancouver first, then get an L1 to move you to the US.

2 Likes

Social Sciences. Ano, pwedeng pre-law. Pwede ring pre-med (may friends ako na tumuloy sa med school and are now physicians). May iba nasa academe, social work, development, governmment, etc.

3 Likes

I took up Broadcast Communication. Wala talaga akong idea actually noong una at binalak ko pa mag-shift to Engg. In the end, super happy lang at medyo nakakamulat ng mata haha

I’ve worked in media, advertising, and publishing.

2 Likes

Took up ECE, worked in semicon and IT eversince!

And wala na rin ako halos maalala sa inaral ko haha.

But 17 years after I graduated, parang gusto ko mag aral ulit. Napupurol na utak ko.

2 Likes

FLCD grad ako, neuro MA, tapos Clinical Child Psychology doctorate. Maraming MD akong batchmates bukod sa teachers. Ako Lang ata nagpsych. Perfect din sundan ito ng Speech Pathology na muntik ko na maging masters program. May mga naglaw din after FLCD.

2 Likes

Socio. Na apply ko sya sa lahat ng aspect ng buhay ko.

2 Likes

In my day…
Wala akong nakitang options or opportunities sa Pinas for
Industrial Design outside of the furniture industry. But the skill sets
We’re portable and flexible enough for other jobs like graphics design for print and online media. Its also something you can take abroad with you if you decide to move abroad . Some degrees need to recertify or requalify without a huge investment or overheard. Maybe nowadays it’s a more recognized field.

2 Likes

I’m a Psych grad, pre-med actually, and our batchmates have gone to various professions. Many of my blockmates went to med school and even then, they branched out to various disciplines from there (some went to research, others in medical administration, public health, pediatrics, cardiology, etc). Some went to law school, some went back to the academe, may napunta sa marketing, hotel management, HR, OD, may sports team manager pa nga e. Ako, I went to customer service (various industries), then sa BPO and now freelance writer at online business manager/VA at social media manager. Nagte-train din ng digital skills for the government as a resource person. I also have an MBA so basically at this point I can still go anywhere.

3 Likes

Community Development.

technical staff gn gobyerno. Coordinator ng outreach department ng isang Catholic school. Assistant ng ilang VIP sa gobyerno at senador. International Volunteer. Trainer. Development at Humanitarian worker.

Madaming pwede. Kung may extra time lang ako nun baka naging roadie ako ng banda or nag teatro or tour guide .

4 Likes

Sociology. I thought of working in market research agencies but then hindi ko siya calling. First job was in customer service / call center because I’m a breadwinner then ditched the high salary to shift careers. Applied in a recruitment role and since then I’ve been working n Human Resources for more than 10 years now. I did recruitment, HR Operations, payroll and now in comp and benefits. Madalas Psych graduate hinahanap dati for HR roles but through the years, Sociology grads are being recognized na din.

5 Likes

BSBAA. 50% of the batch nag-audit after CPA Boards, 50% nag-private. May iba rin na nag-marketing.

Ako nag-finance business partnering sa private. Nag-Business Analytics din pero kapag may finance work, napupunta sakin.

3 Likes

BS Agriculture. Depending on your major, your job option is vast:

Technical, R&D, Sales and Marketing fields for the following
Department of Agriculture and its agencies
FMCG like Nestle, San Miguel, Purefoods
Agro chemical companies like Monsanto, Pioneer, Bayer
Seed companies like East-West Seed, Ramgo Seeds, Allied Botanical Corporation.

I worked with DA and currently work in Marketing for a Seed Company.

With dwindling enrollments and fewer graduates, I forsee a high demand in this industry.

4 Likes

Comp Engg

Anything IT related, R&D

1 Like

BS biology
Nung time time namin, nagboom ang nursing sa US, kaya marami sa batchmates ko ng BS nursing after grad. Meron ding nagmedicine, nag research, nag turo… Nag call center… Naging nanay… Ganun. Mejo maraming options. Hehe…

3 Likes