UP's decision for the rest of 2nd sem 19-20

The UP Diliman USC is calling for Mass Promotion. Do you agree? What do you think are other options?

1 Like

Meeting of all chancys (chancies?) across all UP units on Monday. Final decision rests with BOR.

3 Likes

For me, okay na rin na may Mass Promotion para malaman din ng nakatataas kung ano ang boses ng mga estudyante. Ang bottomline nga lang nito ay gaya ng sinabi ni @the_19th_rose na ang huling desisyon ay sa BOR pa rin.

Edit: wala na akong maisip na other options. Kung ipupush through nila ang semester, baka hindi sa paraang online classes kundi extension of semester. 1 and 1/2 months na ang ikinadelay ng semester, so ieequate na lang nila sa ganun katagal ang extension ng semester.

Gaya dito sa Batangas, nagkaroon ng Phreatic Eruption ng Taal Volcano, then nakapagplano na ang DepEd Regional Director na pati sabado at linggo ay papasukan. 1 month silang delayed sa classes nila. Kaso nagkaglobal pandemic. Also, iba rin ang elem and HS sa college level, so curious ako sa magiging meeting ng mga chancellors this Monday.

1 Like

Nagsagot ako ng survey mula sa college namin at may tanong dun kung importante ba sa akin mag enroll mg midyear. Baka nga option din nila ang iextend ang semester.

1 Like

Dun sa survey, ang sinagot ko eh either extension or sem restart

1 Like

Sem restart? :crying:

1 Like

Bakit di na lang i-freeze lahat at antayin matapos ang emrgency?

2 Likes

Well, they are planning ahead of time kasi iniisip din nila siguro ang funds nila per campus, aside sa classes. Pero sana, hindi ito overplanning.

Isa rin palang magandang option na ifreeze (gaya ng sabi mo @Yatta ) instead of iextend or ipass lahat. Kung alam natin detailed agenda nila on Monday, mas klaro.

1 Like

HIndi ko kasi mintindihan bakit parang nagmamadali sila (yun ang dating sa akin). Wala naman tuition na pinag-hihinayangan, and kung pa-gradweytin, ano naman papasukan nila na trabaho?

3 Likes

Sa aling survey tinanong yan? Napansin ko kasi na iba-iba yung surveys na pinasasagutan which seems kind of problematic? Sem restart sounds like a terrible idea in my opinion :slightly_frowning_face: In one of my courses this sem, dalawang reports na lang, and research paper submission and presentation na lang and we’re done.

3 Likes

Not too warm with the option to mass promote students. It’s disservice to those who are taking important prerequisites to major courses. Freezing the sem until things “normalize” is a shiny option for me, but then - nobody knows when this return to “normal” would happen (and what kind of normal it is).

2 Likes

Di ako agree sa mass promotion, di rin ako agree sa online classes. Of course ang iniisip nila 'yung delay sa pag-graduate pero gusto ba talaga nila na forever in doubt yung degree nila? Grades/promotion are also not just a proof of “passing” a semester, they also indicate the readiness of a student to move on to higher courses.

If they don’t want a sem extension or restart, imbes na online classes, modules ang approach. They only need to download materials once, submit requirements in bulk. Still needs Internet but on much less occasions. It’s still hard to study through this crisis but students need to make adjustments din talaga.

Of course in favor sa akin yung sem restart kasi nagthe-thesis ako haha. Pero if students are worried about lost time, kailangan ng mas creative na pedagogy.

4 Likes

IMG-7772631a662eb587844d5f26a88b1dba-V

PRC starting to cancel exams

Wow, I don’t recall this being among the options presented in the sensing forms! But this is most sensible.

Me and my classmates are still waiting for updates, post- chancellors’ meeting…

1 Like

Bukas daw ifoforward sa BOR ang recommendation ng chancys.

1 Like

Did they do the surveys online only? Because that would be weird if we’re trying to check access haha. Hopefully they also did by mobile. I only received the Internet Connectivity survey from OUR (which is funny because if you don’t have Internet, how could you have answered? :embarasslaff: ) And the sensing survey from our college. Not sure how the USC did theirs, but our college asked about using the midyear term so they’re probably considering continuing classes into that term. (We don’t have undergrad though so technically none of us really have midyear classes.)

I’ve been checking comments elsewhere and one of the points raised that was revealing to me is that some less privileged students think that a mass promotion will only tax them once they take the higher classes–it might get them delayed anyway and it will be on their record. So a sem restart will actually be better all things considered.

The suggestion kasi is revise curriculum such that what students missed this sem will be “phased through” the following semesters or taken in seminars. Just from among my friends in the faculty, the ones who agree with this are from CAL or CSSP. But I wonder how the CS/Econ/BA/Stat peeps figure in. Because I really can’t imagine how you can phase through half a semester of Math 17 or the 50 series. Physics. Chemistry. Econometrics. And more. Your brain can only handle so much and those subjects need ample time for learning and practice. The labs pa! Wow, gulo.

Isn’t it more stressful to be on catch up mode until you finish your degree than work on a way now to still study during this crisis? We just need a more equitable way to go about this. Otherwise, sem restart nga. Hopefully the PAC came up with something.

1 Like

Online ang survey. Pero parang per college ata? Sa survey i picked either sem extension or sem restart.
Thesis sem ko dapat kaso ito na nga. :shrug:

That was what I was thinking too. I saw the results from USC’s remote learning survey, in which only 36% of the student population were able to answer the survey. Only a few have no access to the internet (assuming this number safely represents the student population; they also said that students were contacted thru SMS as well). With that, maybe continuing with online classes is a better option. I read that another university had offered device rentals to students. Baka pwede ring i-apply sa atin yung ganun… :dunno:

Our daughter is in UPIS, they were supposed to have their 3Q exams the week they started class suspensions. Personally, I don’t want them to do mass promotion, ang hilaw ng dating.

But then, wala naman tayong say dito :hahaha: intayin na lang natin BOR decision.

2 Likes

Ateneo de Davao, yes! Papahiram pa ng broadband units. May mga UP alumni naman among telco leaderships, sana naman magawan ng paraan…

2 Likes

Recommendation of PAC below. BOR yet to release final decision on this:

2 Likes