That One Book That Left a Huge Impact in Your Life

What is your favorite book or that one book that left a huge impact in your life?

Mine, most definitely, is Arundhati Roy’s The God of Small Things. Grabe lang itong book na ito for me! Tapos Arundhati Roy is my favorite writer of all time. I love her second novel as well, ‘yung The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, pero iba ang impact sa akin ng TGOS talaga.

:eyeglasses:

2 Likes

I am into more self-help books lately and I am kinda struggling in a way professionally. Being a highly sensitive person, I tend to overthink and some of these books put definition on the things running on top of my head:

Relentless - Tim S. Grover
Motivation Myth - Jeff Haden

1 Like

I liked most of Jun Cruz Reyes’ work, especially “Ilan Taon na ang Problema Mo”.

Foreign writers si Murakami, mostly his. non-fiction (what I talk about when I talk about running, saka yung interview nya sa conductor ng chicago symphony yata). Parang ang light ng mga views nya as a person pero ang cool cool nya. Saka my ultimate favorite si Nick Hornby. Ang quick witted lagi ng works nya, especially A Long Way Down.

Puwede rin ba cartoonist? I love Bill Watterson din :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder.

It literally turned my world upside down.

2 Likes

Akala ng mga tao joke when I say that it’s Green Eggs and Ham. Pero eto talaga.

Kundera’s Unbearable Lightness of Being is a close second.

3 Likes

I have a book that would make an impact at different points in my life. There’s Jonathan Livingston Seagull and The Road Less Traveled, but recently siguro The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason on personal finance and Goodbye, Things by Fumio Sasaki on minimalism.

2 Likes

Alternick talaga kita at ikaw ako. Lol. I love Murakami and Watterson

OnT: Clare Dudman’s 98 Reasons for Being is also a good book that left an impact.

2 Likes

Gusto ko rin si Murakami. Na-curious ako dun sa pinapakinggan ng character sa 1Q84 na orchestra music na Sinfonietta, so for a month lagi ko rin siya pinapatugtog sa Spotify.

2 Likes

Kite Runner. kaisa-isang librong nagpaiyak sa akin :bawling:

5 Likes

@jhome A Thousand Splendid Suns is way more heavy, I think. Mas naiyak ako dun. Haha

Growing up, I have Catcher in the Rye as my bible. Tapos, naging From Third World to First by Lee Kwan Yew coz I dreamt of better Philippines, baka makakuha tayo ng ilang pointers.

Tapos ngayon, pinipilit ko isabuhay ang Honoring The Self by Nathaniel Branden (naging lover ni Ayn Rand, I think)

1 Like

Kambal ni Martha Cecilia, Precious Hearts Romances

I was in grade school then. Tapos mula doon, natuwa na akong magbasa from Precious Hearts to Sweet Valley High to Sidney Sheldon to JK Rowling.

1 Like

The first was The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery. (Grade 3 pa lang ako, naka-salamin na ako. I would hide under the blanket just to read at night.)

During teen years:
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Haruki Murakami
Jane Austen
Virginia Woolf
Sylvia Plath
JRR Tolkien

UP years onwards:
Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Ernest Hemingway
Fyodor Dostoevsky
George Orwell
Kurt Vonnegut

…and many more. I love reading. :nod:

4 Likes

I don’t read much of his fiction though. Too heavy for me sometimes. Yun non-fiction nya yung mas gusto ko basahin

2 Likes

Isa pa pala, Night by Elie Wiesel. Kwento ng author of his experience in a Nazi concentration camp. Sobrang bigat basahin. Gave me a totally different view of the horrors of Holocaust, and also deepened my appreciation of life.

1 Like

A Fine Balance. Bigat sa damdamin.

1 Like

This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

May kinalaman din yung pinagdadaanan nung time na binabasa ko yung book na yun kaya tagos sa puso. :tearseyes:

1 Like

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I loved it so much, I bought The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (which I also enjoyed) and The Bone Clocks (which I need to get back to now that I have time to read novels again) by the same author. I loved it so much, I sat through the film hoping it would turn out every bit as good as the book – I was disappointed by the film, and my companions at the theater were confused.

Marami na akong nabasang required and non-required readings/novels, but none struck me so much as Cloud Atlas.

1 Like

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

2 Likes

Man’s Search for Meaning ni Viktor Frankl.

3 Likes

Bill Clinton’s My Life. Reading ko sya sa graschool class with Dr. Carlos. Got me interested in collecting autobiographies.

1 Like