Investment Talk

Mas malaki kita pag airbnb. If you rent it out ng 1.5k per night, abot ng 45k per month compared sa 20k to 25k for a long-term tenant. Medyo mas hassle lang yung trabaho - permit sa admin, cleaning, messaging kay tenant, etc. At kapag maraming days na vacant baka di umabot sa amount ng monthly loan payment. Tulad ngayon, walang tenant while ECQ is in effect.

If you compare real estate prices today with prices 5 yrs ago sobrang laki na difference. So kung naka long term lease lang, hindi na aabot yung rent for monthly payment ng loan. Kailangan na magdagdag.

1 Like

Same experience. Started paying when I was 27. Moved in when I was 29. 5years nalang matatapos na ako :jumpclap:

When I moved in may 2 school campus outside (Roosevelt College and ICCT) + a ministop. Now may McDo, Puregold, 3 star hotel/motel, Petron and Shell. Then within the same barangay may 3 new private hospitals and then an MRT purple line station. Twice na na re-appraise property ko and may change sa amilyar since I moved in 10yrs ago.

In other news, bagsak uitf and vul ko :smash: yun nalang nga alam ko e pero good time to top up now.

Insurance din ok, 4 out of 5 paid and waiting for maturity nalang. I honestly didn’t think I’d appreciate this when I was younger. Napressure lang ako :hahaha: pero nung naging mommy ako super na-appreciate ko na sila so kinuhanan ko agad si baby nun.

Jewelry next ko iniisip. Not as investment talaga but gusto ko may few select and timeless pieces na pwede ko ibigay sa daughter ko. Next nalang yung madaling isanla kase so easy money when times get rough.

1 Like

Inisip ko din mag invest sa art. Pero hanggang ngayon isip palang, not counting 1 piece na we received as a very generous wedding gift. Mukhang pwede naman as an investment strategy, although I personally wouldn’t put it on my top list. A relative inherited two art pieces and then binenta nya. Ayun, he was able to use the money as downpayment for a flat and to open a small business.

For my daughter naman, so far meron shang gold (gold coins na nareceive as her baptismal gifts, para may starting money sha kung mag cocollege na sha or for when (or if) she decides to start a family). So far, positive experiences with gold coins—the value of these ones that she has is now, on average, more than triple or quadruple than when they were purchased about 20-30 years ago. Iniisip ko pa ano pang pwede for her, pero I want her to be conscious of what money is/is for and how she goes about it.

3 Likes

Jewelry! :aprub: Yun 1 carat na VVS1 siguro 10 years ago wala pang 100K. Ngayon more than double na. Kaso yun jewelry di mo ma realize yung gain unless ibenta mo. Pero magandang excuse para bumili :joy:

:uhhuh: on artwork. sa dati kong work when I get a citation / award (usually may cash in $$), i buy a painting kesa personal na gamit. so far yung price per square inch nung nabili ko, nag appreciate naman to more than 75% na at medyo bata pa sila nyan :joy:

on renting a unit, balita ko madami daw renters ngayon na chinese, pero grabe daw ang wear and tear ng unit (na pwede mo naman i-price in)

1 Like

Naalala ko when I was in an art gallery at walang idea paano pumili ng painting. Ang advice nung owner is to select a promising young artist dahil mag aapreciate yung value ng painting later on pag mas nakilala na sya, so back then Manuel Baldemor yung ni recommend nya. Dun ko lang din nalaman na priced per square inch ang paintings. As in sinukat nya tapos may list siya ng price per square inch per artist.

Then may na mention siya na minsan daw may mga customers na kinukumusta yung health ng artists. Apparently pag pala namatay yung artist biglang tumataas yung price ng paintings, so kapag nabalitaan nila na medyo malapit na sa ganun dun sila bumibili. Medyo weird lang to ask that question. Naalala ko tuloy si Malang.

3 Likes

I am a huge fan of index funds. I follow a lot of John Bogle’s principles in investing: simple, automatic, low-cost, diversified. My stock portfolio is in TSP (Thrift Savings Plan, federal/military equivalent of 401K) and Vanguard where I hold Target Retirement funds and VTSAX (US Total Stock Market).

Started investing at age 23 with very minimal contributions then gradually increase with each pay raise.

My target asset allocation is 75% US stocks, 20% Int’l, 5% Bonds.

3 Likes

Wow, interesting yang gold coins ha, :heart_eyes: shiny things.

On properties, naalala ko lang yung showbiz interview ni Sharon nung nahospitalized mom nya dati and si KC daw nagbayad ng milyones na bill. She said nakatali sa investments money nya and the properties she owned aren’t easy to sell kase high value din. So I guess, keep in mind how you plan on using your investment - volatile, liquid etc. :thinking:

first on the list kasi kadalasan ang Gold kapag usapang Safe Haven Investment

• Safe haven investments offer protection from market downswings.
  • Precious metals, currencies, stocks from particular sectors and more have been identified as safe havens in the past.
  • Safe havens in one period of market volatility may react differently in another, so there is no consistent safe haven other than portfolio diversity.
1 Like

Cost averaging (peso/dollar) on stocks - most effective to make inflation work for you but it takes discipline and patience especially during bear market (but the market always, always recovers)
MFs, UITFs, VUL Insurance to diversify portfolio
Gold (safe and stable)

Just started buying a condo. I’m planning on selling it upon turnover then use the proceeds as downpayment for the condo I want to live in. Right now kasi I still don’t know where I’ll be settling down.

This is a great idea. I think I’ll do this when I know where I’ll settle down.

2 Likes

Hi. By any chance, how do you liquidate yung gold coins? There was a time na nagbenta ang BSP ng commemorative gold and silver coins but I did not pursue it kasi di ako masagot ng mga kilala ko sa BSP kung kanino ako pwede pumunta para ibenta ang gold coin in case of emergency.

Naisip ko pawnshop pero alam ko mababa naman sila mag-value ng sinasangla sa kanila kasi they are there to meet yung biglaang pangangailan ng client for money.

Concern ko rin ito dati kaya iniisip ko kung okay ba bumili ng gold coins tapos dalhin sa Pinas. Medyo sayang din yung fees and 6.2% tax deduction ni BSP. But if you sell from the same dealer kung saan mo nabili baka mas madali ang process at mas ok ang rates. For example, sa Bullionstar naka indicate na yung buy back price nila.

Hi! You can either go to a gold dealer or to a big bank or a one that itself trades with gold dealers (in my area, for example, the big banks would accept them, although for one particular bank, only their central office would). To get the best deal, check out the current market price for gold, and if it has collector’s value (i.e. if it is a collector’s coin and not a regular gold bullion), for example, factor that in. That way you have an idea as regards the span you’d be working with.

I would think you are right about pawnshops giving pretty low deals. But I don’t have any experience dealing with pawnshops so I can’t say for certain.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Im assuming you are just based here in the PHL.

Which local banks are engaged in gold trading? You just go to the head office of the bank?

Hi! :wave: I’m not based in the Philippines. In any case, you may want to check if either HSBC Manila or Deutsche Bank has a gold account.

2 Likes

Once in a while I meet ‘free’ financial planners, they don’t have a fiduciary duty to me, meaning bebentahan ako eventually, pero they have these nice tools that can tell you your gaps and weaknesses, project your net worth over time, tell you if you’re saving enough.

So from one of these guys I learned that diversification is important. And from forums and podcasts I learned that mutual funds/unit trust sellers charge so much in fees, they eat into your profit. Akala ko I was diversified na by investing in 2-3 etfs, di pa pala.

Anyway, I think I’ve given up on trying to figure it all out. So difficult. I still buy individual stocks, REITs, and ETFs sometimes. But now I’m enjoying investing by robot/AI - bahala na sila mag allocate between the different asset classes at 1.6-1.8% sales charge. Di ko alam kung may robo investing na sa pinas but I’m loving it and have a couple of robo accounts with different risk profiles.

1 Like

magro-rollout na dapat ng REIT’s sa Pinas before the pandemic hit.
isa pa yun sa iniisip ko kung paano na dahil sa covid

1 Like

Sabi nila, ibang asset class from stocks ang REITs, na kapag bumagsak ang stocks, not necessarily babagsak ang REITs. But based on my non-professional opinion, it seems like the REITs are behaving like stocks din. I’ve been watching them for weeks, up and down sya according to the market’s index. Eh sana ok ang dividends this year, mine are mostly commercial, industrial, logistics REITs.

2 Likes

Kailangan munang i-reassess ang property sector in general while taking into account yung post COVID reality sa earnings projections.

1 Like

May dollar-denominated Asia-Pacific REIT fund na ang Manulife. Binibida yan ng tatay ko na mataas ang kinita nya nung Dec 2019. Plinaplano ko nga kumuha paguwi ko sa Pinas ng July (na mukhang di na matutuloy), for sure bababa ang earning projections nya for this year but sa tingin ko good investment pa rin ang REITs.

1 Like