Investment Talk

Just started buying a condo. I’m planning on selling it upon turnover then use the proceeds as downpayment for the condo I want to live in. Right now kasi I still don’t know where I’ll be settling down.

This is a great idea. I think I’ll do this when I know where I’ll settle down.

2 Likes

Hi. By any chance, how do you liquidate yung gold coins? There was a time na nagbenta ang BSP ng commemorative gold and silver coins but I did not pursue it kasi di ako masagot ng mga kilala ko sa BSP kung kanino ako pwede pumunta para ibenta ang gold coin in case of emergency.

Naisip ko pawnshop pero alam ko mababa naman sila mag-value ng sinasangla sa kanila kasi they are there to meet yung biglaang pangangailan ng client for money.

Concern ko rin ito dati kaya iniisip ko kung okay ba bumili ng gold coins tapos dalhin sa Pinas. Medyo sayang din yung fees and 6.2% tax deduction ni BSP. But if you sell from the same dealer kung saan mo nabili baka mas madali ang process at mas ok ang rates. For example, sa Bullionstar naka indicate na yung buy back price nila.

Hi! You can either go to a gold dealer or to a big bank or a one that itself trades with gold dealers (in my area, for example, the big banks would accept them, although for one particular bank, only their central office would). To get the best deal, check out the current market price for gold, and if it has collector’s value (i.e. if it is a collector’s coin and not a regular gold bullion), for example, factor that in. That way you have an idea as regards the span you’d be working with.

I would think you are right about pawnshops giving pretty low deals. But I don’t have any experience dealing with pawnshops so I can’t say for certain.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Im assuming you are just based here in the PHL.

Which local banks are engaged in gold trading? You just go to the head office of the bank?

Hi! :wave: I’m not based in the Philippines. In any case, you may want to check if either HSBC Manila or Deutsche Bank has a gold account.

2 Likes

Once in a while I meet ‘free’ financial planners, they don’t have a fiduciary duty to me, meaning bebentahan ako eventually, pero they have these nice tools that can tell you your gaps and weaknesses, project your net worth over time, tell you if you’re saving enough.

So from one of these guys I learned that diversification is important. And from forums and podcasts I learned that mutual funds/unit trust sellers charge so much in fees, they eat into your profit. Akala ko I was diversified na by investing in 2-3 etfs, di pa pala.

Anyway, I think I’ve given up on trying to figure it all out. So difficult. I still buy individual stocks, REITs, and ETFs sometimes. But now I’m enjoying investing by robot/AI - bahala na sila mag allocate between the different asset classes at 1.6-1.8% sales charge. Di ko alam kung may robo investing na sa pinas but I’m loving it and have a couple of robo accounts with different risk profiles.

1 Like

magro-rollout na dapat ng REIT’s sa Pinas before the pandemic hit.
isa pa yun sa iniisip ko kung paano na dahil sa covid

1 Like

Sabi nila, ibang asset class from stocks ang REITs, na kapag bumagsak ang stocks, not necessarily babagsak ang REITs. But based on my non-professional opinion, it seems like the REITs are behaving like stocks din. I’ve been watching them for weeks, up and down sya according to the market’s index. Eh sana ok ang dividends this year, mine are mostly commercial, industrial, logistics REITs.

2 Likes

Kailangan munang i-reassess ang property sector in general while taking into account yung post COVID reality sa earnings projections.

1 Like

May dollar-denominated Asia-Pacific REIT fund na ang Manulife. Binibida yan ng tatay ko na mataas ang kinita nya nung Dec 2019. Plinaplano ko nga kumuha paguwi ko sa Pinas ng July (na mukhang di na matutuloy), for sure bababa ang earning projections nya for this year but sa tingin ko good investment pa rin ang REITs.

1 Like

Alam mo yung name nung product? Might be a good time to buy if mag.adjust presyo due to the pandemic.
Kinda interested to at least inquire

1 Like

Ito sya: Manulife APAC REIT Fund

1 Like

These are mostly singapore listed REITs

• yung capitaland mall trust, baka bumagsak pa, walang nagma malling ngayon tapos shaky yung rental income, maraming merchants in trouble
  • yung ascendas reit, that’s industrial/commercial, they own the biggest science parks in singapore. I have their stock.
  • i also have mapletree commercial, may projected growth there

I downloaded a primer on Singapore Listed reits one time, let me see if I can find the link to share with you

Edit- some links on reits

3 Likes

based on what i’ve read so far, it seems ang lookout ko if ever i wanna dip my toes in the REITs market, is to see how COVID resilient the particular REITs i’m looking to get into is.

1 Like

might as well dust off this thread since i’m dipping my financial toes into a market that is relatively new for me.

I mean hindi na bago ang forex (FX), and madami na nga akong kilala na naglalaro in this market.

Just that I have just recently started in a system that is working out pretty well for me.

If things continue to work out as well as they have been, this may represent a turning point in how fast we shore up our finances