Graphic Novels/Comics

Share your favorites and/or the ones you didn’t like so much.

I started getting into graphic novels after being gifted Asterios Polyp by my bf. Some of my favorites:

*Relish
*An Age of License (Lucy Knisley)
*Someting New (Lucy Knisley) - about her wedding planning and the mishaps that came with it.
*Kid Gloves (Lucy Knisley - it’s about sex ed, her pregnancy and so much more. I think this will be great for teenagers too because of the sexual health discussions.
*Sandman (Neil Gaiman)
*Chew (Rob Guillory) - Also about food… sort of.
*Trese series (Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldisimo)
*Nonnonba (Shigeru Mizuki)
*Daytripper (Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba)

Others I liked
*Fables (Bill Willingham) - it was so awesome until the Dark Ages arc but it tapered off from there so I stopped following it.
*The Handmaid’s Tale
*Quiet girl in a Noisy World (Debbie Tung)

2 Likes

Sandman series (both the classic and the new one)
Superman Red Son
Kingdom Come (art pa lang, sulit na)
American Vampire
Transmetropolitan
Hillbilly (Eric Powell)
Colder

3 Likes

Neil Gaiman’s Sandman series! :aprub:

3 Likes

Ang ganda ng mga Vertigo comics :smiley: Some of the DC titles, too.

Some of my favorites (in no particular order):

:monkey: Y: The Last Man
:camera_flash: DMZ
:wolf:Fables
:books: Books of Magic
:sparkles: Lucifer
:slightly_smiling_face:Watchmen
:man_superhero:All Star Superman
:sleeping: Sandman

Mostly into Image titles now though.
:crossed_swords: Lazarus
:tv: Saga
:atom_symbol: Black Science
:fried_egg: Flavor

Sa mga komiks naman:
:drop_of_blood: Tabi Po
:white_circle: Light

Will post more as soon as I remember them.

3 Likes

Y The Last Man is my favorite. I’m also interested to get recos on similar genre - dystopian storyline anyone?

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to read Y The Last Man but haven’t seen it in bookstores. I was going to order it from Fullybooked but then the ECQ happened. :upside_down_face:

If you want dystopian, try Descender by Jeff Lemire.

3 Likes

Good-bye, Chunky Rice bu Craig Thompson.

Puwede rin ba si Calvin and Hobbes? :headbang:

1 Like

May sequel na nga pala ito. Ascender :robot: Nasimulan mo na?

Gustong gusto ko din yung Fables but the last arcs were so tiresome.

Daytripper is :heart:.

Chew is great, too. May bagong series na si Rob Guillory din ang illustrator. It’s about plant-human hybrids, Farmhand yung title (assuming you haven’t checked it out). Chew feels din.

Haven’t read the rest of your recommendations (except for Sandman). Will check them out :grin:

@BeachPatrol Lazarus is pretty dystopian. It’s about a future where powerful family corporations ruled the world and divided it into territories amongst themselves. Feudal yung society nila and each family has a Lazarus, a super soldier champion.

@iamstorm Damn. Been a while since I’ve read Transmetropolitan. That book is so crass and fun. :joy:

2 Likes

Oh, forgot Craig Thompson :man_facepalming: Really loved Blankets and Habibi. Sakit lang sa puso ng Habibi.

1 Like

Hindi ko pa nasisimulan yung Ascender kasi wala pa akong copy. Haha Balak ko kasi sabay-sabay na sa birthday discount ng fullybooked. Ayun, inabutan ng ECQ. :smash:

Will check out Farmhand! And the rest of the titles in this thread too. :aprub:

At least marami kang ibibinge. It’s a pain to wait every month. :sob: I used to sail the high seas when I was an undergrad. Ngayon, I mostly buy digital. Wish Image had an unlimited service but I don’t think it’ll work for them economically.

Also, just remembered na kawawa pala ang comic book industry ngayong ECQ. :pensive:

Kaso pag tapos na yung ECQ, balik busy na rin sa work. I’ve been thinking of getting digital copies but I want to lessen my screen time. Saka iba talaga yung bubuklatin mo yung libro.

Oo nga… Cancelled pa yung Summer Komikon. :sad:

OnT: For Filipino comics, try Tabi Po (Mervin Malonzo). I actually haven’t finished the first book (a bit gory for me) but it’s awesome according to friends.

Faves ko rin ang Fun Home ni Alison Bechdel at ang Orphan Black comics. :100:

1 Like

Transmetropolitan.

2 Likes

3 Likes

P_20191114_205553

2 Likes

Wow pa-overnight! Jk

I read it online lang :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Wow! Most of my graphic novels I read sa comic book reader na lang sa iPad, konti lang physical collection ko. Maliit lang bookshelf ko ngayon eh. Hahaha.