Graduate studies in UP

Share your experiences while doing your graduate school in UP. You can provide tips and suggestions to other graduate students and ask questions at the same time.

OnT: I enrolled in a graduate program in Engineering several years ago. I was able to finish some of the prescribed units (12 units) but not the entire coursework. I wan to go back in graduate school but I fear that they will ask me to take the same subjects again. What are rules in penalty courses and MRR in graduate school?

2 Likes

I got my masters degree from UPOU. Swak siya sa educational needs and schedule ko kasi I work full time. I enjoyed independent and distance learning because I do it at my own pace. Profs will give the course outline and sched then bahala na kami sa sched namin as long as maipasa lahat ng requirements on time.

4 Likes

Na-MRR ako (took me six years to finish my master’s degree :joy:). I had to write an appeal letter. Considerate naman sila and I got re-admitted. Tapos I had go take a three-unit penalty course. Good for the next three years na yun if I’m not mistaken. Will post the graduate handbook if I find it.

2 Likes

Before masters…

For those wanting to pursue MBA or MS Fin, highly recommended ko yung Pre-MBA Analytical Primer by Regina Trevino to review for the proficiency tests for algeb/calc/math of finance/stat. Kulang lang ng accounting yan. But for accounting, I also suggest to enroll in the remedials for the proficiency if di ka accounting major. For the GPAT, kaya niyo na yan. Haha. Nakatapos ka naman ng undergrad. Just do well coz dun sinasala yung magpproficiency exams.

During masters…

Once you’re in, one of my tip is to have a pa-simpleng record ng classes through voice recorder ng phone mo. But don’t publish or share online coz bawal. Intellectual property ng prof yun. If you can ask permission sa prof, much better para walang privacy breach or whatever.

Sa mga mag-MS Fin, if you wanna get ahead of the pack, take those mooc courses about corporate finance, linear regression, and financial accounting. Youtube university is super helpful din. Also, befriend BAA peeps in the class. Sobrang review sa kanila yung unang courses sa program. Super galing nila pramis.

Daming groupworks btw. Be super friendly pls. And do your part sa group work.

Lastly, please get a work near BGC. Mejo nakakapagod pag babyahe ka pa mula sa malayong lupain (amin mang marating). Trust me on this. Haha

1 Like

for MBA, since UP uses the case method extensively, medyo may pagka UF pero find a good anchor group. Yung smart and hardworking yung mga tao, magaling magsulat at mabilis trumabaho (tipong isang meeting lang tapos na yung case).

second is, hindi ko alam kung meron na food ngayon pag gabi sa CBA, pero nung nag aaral ako sometimes I skipped classes because I was too hungry and fishball was the only option :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh wow - this has been a long-standing concern even in our College. Yung wala nang bukas na food stalls. Graduate classes often extend until almost 9 pm. Buti na lang, may food delivery. Pero hindi naman lahat, laging may budget for that. Kaya…pancit canton × kikiam nights.

3 Likes

Nagkaroon ako ng unexpected event during my first sem which resulted to grades of 4 and INC in my subjects. Then the following sem kinailangan ko mag work overseas for a year and go on LOA, so hindi ko na na-submit yung requirements for those subjects. Pagbalik ko ni retake ko lahat. Awa ng Diyos di naman tinamad at natapos din. So total of 4.5 yrs including the LOA.

Kailangan lang din talaga i-discuss yung plans with your boss/HR para ma sync sa career plan. At kailangan din ng special work arrangements if you’re traveling from Makati to Diliman.

Pinaka challenging yung pag manage ng oras. Nagbabasa na kasi ako ng technical specs as part of my work, tapos sa gabi kailangan ko mag attend ng class at magbasa ng readings bago matulog. Then classes ulit ng Saturday plus gawa ng papers, presentations and group work until Sunday. Kaya sobrang relieved ako pag ka graduate, andami na ulit oras :lol:

1 Like

Pahirapan lalo sa BGC ngayon. Sarado na yung cafeteria pag gabi :(( FoodPanda/GrabFood is the bestfriend ng mga grad students ng CBA. Yung iba, nakakabili pa bago pumasok sa class. May small tindahan near campus but magttraverse ka pa ng ‘gubat’ at makikipag patintero sa ga-pusang daga sa gubat. hahahaha

1 Like

Did my MA in International Studies in UPD, non thesis track. Working student ako, so challenge din magbalance ng sked (buti na lang supportive mga amo and understanding din ang mga profs). Natapos ko naman sya, although may dalawang sem akong residency while preparing for compre exams. Matic na sakripisyo ang Sabado mo–dahil sa classes and/or library/research time. Kapag weekday ang classes mo, humanda kang maaga kang aalis ng opis at late ka makakauwi sa gabi.

During my time, wala pang Grabfood and unheard pa magpadeliver, so tiyaga ka talaga kay manong fishballs sa labas ng FC.

2 Likes

I super agree on a good core group! Sa MBA group work yan til the end. Mahirap to adjust and readjust every new group kasi. My MBA groupmates have turned out to be lifelong friends. :smile:

Another tip: learn how to divide and conquer. Sa sobrang dami ng cases mababaliw kayo pag pagmmeetingan niyo lahat. Kung minor lang (meaning non-presenting group) case, puede partner partner or individual ang paggawa. You just have to agree on an overall approach.

Most important tip: Wag galitin si Ate Ida :hug:

3 Likes

Hahahahahaha! Tru!!

Pinroblema ko yan nung magkaka MBA na sa BGC: Magkaka Ate Yda kaya sa UP BGC? :joy:

Sa Eduk ang hinaing ng mga ka-major ko (Language Ed) ay hindi mahilig magpagraduate. Well, nakagraduate naman ako pero delayed. Anyway, gumagawa na sioa ng efforts para dumami ang gumagraduate sa MA and PhD. Also, isa sa mga problema namin ay limitado sa pwedeng mging adviser sa thesis/dissertation. Kailangan din ng matinding motivation pag thesis stage na, kasi pansin ko karamihan ng umaalis sa program umaalis pag thesis na.

1 Like

hi All! do any of you have any idea if a student can take two grad courses simultaneously? im currently taking masters in tech management at TMC and I’m just in my 1st year, but im also interested in taking MA courses in Philosophy . ty!

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a university rule regarding taking two graduate programs at the same time. I think it’s best if you could ask the Department of Philosophy if they’d allow it (and TMC, too!). Kasi technically, you would fit all their requirements naman, but I guess they would also need to assess whether you’d be able to handle being in two grad programs.

Are you a professional student? I’m just amazed that you want to be in two grad programs haha :wow:

2 Likes

You are allowed to take a non-TMC elective (3 units) so it can be a Philo course. If you’re taking TMC part-time with a day job, you may struggle with the work load during the second year – Tech-based Entrepreneurship (Edison) and Strategic Tech Planning (Imbang). Almost weekly group report and paper, walang pahinga kahit Sunday. Then Special Project (299). Might be difficult to complete requirements if you’re taking another grad course.

4 Likes

Haha how i wish. Im also a member of the work force who just happens to have a lot of interests hehe. But thanks! )

1 Like

Any news about the grad studies for this school year? Been looking at websites kung online classes ba ang gagawin due to COVID-19 pero wala akong nakikitang info.

1 Like

@shi.fluffy Based on the Academic Concerns section of the Post-ECQ guidelines, there will be no face to face classes in the near or mid term.

This should cover grad school classes as well.

Oh thanks. I was hoping that there would still be the normal classroom set up for grad studies since students are fewer compared to undergrad classes.