UP Community Targeted in Suspicious Identity Theft Plot

1 Like

Update:
I found at 15 fake accounts under ny name. Ugh. Ahensya daw

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be limited to UP though. PUP and other universities were targeted as well.

Kahit anak ko and mga classmates nya, meron din. Quesci sila.

1 Like

I have 1 very vocal du3tard non-UP (facebook) friend na meron ding fake account. Ang theory namin is isang external app within facebook (eg. sinong pinaka-kamuka mong artista), where they ask to have access to your details etc.

1 Like

My FB feed was filled with either people reminding people that they only have this account, or asking friends not to add and/or report these accounts. Some of them are not from UP, but other universities too. Natakot ako, so I checked, and also put up a reminder that I only maintain one FB account.

Dun sa check ko, wala pa namang gumagamit ng full name ko (i have two first names, and that is my real account). Dun sa isang first name ko lang, lahat naman ay not newly created or empty accounts. One of my friends pointed out that there’s a certain hashtag I always use–and kapag walang ganun, di ako yung account na yun hehehe.

1 Like

I reported a few but I’m a bit confused regarding FB’s response.

One type of response basically tells me account is not fake even if it has all the red flags (no picture, no friends, duplicate name of someone else I know). Haaaayyyy insert shocked Pikachu face.

The other type of response, more common by far, says “We can’t prioritize this report right now”. I know I should take it as just a point-of-info but it feels like Latin for “F*ck off we’re not dealing with this, like, ever.”

So online I use my nickname more (which is what my friends call me too). Searched for that nickname, nope. Searched for my real name, however, revealed two suspicious accounts, but both with minor misspellings. Should I be worried about that? Hayyy ewan.

1 Like