Peyups Archives: A(H1N1) - April 2009

These are posts from a thread on Peyups.com titled: Mexican Flu “A Potencial Pandemic”, started on April 26, 2009.

There are many similarities to what we are experiencing right now. But unlike the COVID19 pandemic, the A(H1N1) pandemic was relatively mild.

Mexico flu ‘a potential pandemic’

A new flu virus suspected of killing up to 60 people in Mexico has the potential to become a pandemic, the World Health Organization’s chief says.

Health experts say tests so far seem to link the illnesses in Mexico with a swine flu virus in the southern US.

The WHO says it does not know the full risk yet.

It is advising all member states to be vigilant for seasonally unusual flu or pneumonia-like symptoms among their populations - particularly among young healthy adults, who seem to be the most affected in Mexico.

Officials said most of those killed so far were young adults - rather than more vulnerable children and the elderly.

happyman / April 26, 2009

2 Likes

First few posts:

Nakakakaba ito ah :unhappy:

jhek_09 / April 26, 2009

Kamusta naman ang quarantine procedures sa mga entry points sa bansa? :headscratch: How secure can we be?

isko_bido / April 26, 2009

Sobrang nakakatakot ito. kasi ilang araw na ayon… dead na agad.

cmsc_ako / April 26, 2009

How secure are we? We’re as secure as a bank guarded by a 5 year old boy with a toy gun

Sa madaling salita, asa pang may gawin ang gobyerno natin to prevent this, they’ll only do something when people start dying already. :embarasslaff:

Ace_Balasador_XP / April 27, 2009

I agree about our airport security, but I think I disagree on the part that they’ll only do something pag may namatay na… Wala rin namang na-report na case ng SARS dito dati eh… At hindi rin tayo umabot sa point na kinailangan nating magsara ng schools and places of work para i-quarantine ang mga na-infect…

Haven’t seen or read any news on the measures that our country is doing, but I hope they’re already doing something because cases have been reported in the US and Canada already. Couple that with the “American Dream” mentality that most of the people have here, basically labas-pasok lang ang mga tao from here to the US or Canada = viral spread in the country. :unhappy:

I’m kind of wishing na sana si Manuel Dayrit ulit Health Sec natin…

Lu1_Marie / April 27, 2009

Sounds familiar? :point_down: :hahaha:

I just read somewhere that this virus is man-made. I’ll post the link later.

swimbod21 / April 27, 2009

A/H1N1 is a nouvelle virus with properties of the bird flu, human flu, and swine flu viruses. Humans are potential carriers of this new strain which makes it more dangerous. I don’t know if the bird flu antiviral injections DOH has in stock is enough to deter the virus once it gains entry.

isko_bido / April 27, 2009

Nuon man o ngayon! :point_down:

Practice good hygiene:

• Wash your hands often (Sing happy birthday when washing. Pag natapos na yung happy birthday, dapat tapos ka na din maghugas).

• Cover your mouth when sneezing. Use tissue or use the crook of your arm (sabi sa CNN).

• Always bring and use alcohol-based sanitizer.

• If you want to wear mask, buy the N95 kind. That’s the best mask daw against airborne diseases like bird/swine flu,

leela / April 28, 2009

This is probably how a lot of us felt last month :hahaha:

It is already a pandemic as per CNN. In this case, no one is safe, as in no one country.

We are all doomed! Armageddon is coming to town!

shin / April 28, 2009

I’ve read from Inquirer.net that our airports are screening travellers from NY, SFO, and LAX. Kahit de-mano at mas matatagalan ang screening dito, mas mabuti nang ganun kasi wala tayong gamit na kayang mag-detect ng body temperatures gaya nung ginamit sa Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong nung kasagsagan ng SARS. Well, aside from the good old thermometer, that is.

Ok lang kumain ng pork dahil hindi naman kumakalat yung virus thru eating. It is an airborne virus, thus close contact should be avoided. Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing.

Tama ang post ni leela :aprub: rub: Good personal hygiene helps prevent the spread of ANY disease. Follow what she posted and maniwala rin tayong lahat sa tv ads ng safeguard, overrated as it is. :winking: Dahil for now, wala pang vaccine na available. Kaya let’s try to prevent the spread in any way we can.

Lu1_Marie / April 28, 2009

Funny nitong conspiracy theory na 'to. :laugh:

This is all Manny Pacquiao’s fault, the Mexicans are staging their revenge now, those sneeky bastards! Huwag na pabalikin si Manny tsaka lahat nung manunuod sa Las Vegas sa Pilipinas! i hate you Manny!

shin / April 28, 2009

2 Likes

Uso ngayon ang nakamamatay na swine flu. Mag-ingat sa beso-beso at pag-shake hands.

stoked / April 28, 2009

Si Bill Gates pa rin ang may kasalanan?!? :headscratch:

The evil inside me tells that this could be an idea of the capitalists. Palalalain ang situation tapos sasabihin nila they have the antidote to the strain. Boom, kikita sila kahit krisis. But that’s just me, could be true, could be not.

wastedlyf / April 29, 2009

Speaking of immune system, kapag mas malakas ang immune system mo mas lethal ang ganitong flu. Flu victims in pandemics die practically from the immune response of their bodies.

In any case, we should not give in to the fear and learn to take things into perspective. Although traumatizing nga ang nangyari nung 1918 Spanish flu (20-100M succumbed to the pandemic), we have to consider the state of medicine then and now. For one, we now have antivirals at our disposal. The antivirals zenamivir and oseltamivir (tamiflu) seem to be working against the virus.

Consider also na madali namang maicocommunicate ang bagong information kaya nga confident ang WHO that things are still under control. Kung magkaroon man ng significant na development ay saka nila i-raise ang alert level ng pandemic.

Ayon nga sa opinion ng isang expert, milder ang kaso ngayon sa swine flu kung ikumpara noon sa SARS. Yung kaso daw kasi sa SARS nun isinikreto pa ng China yung pagkalat nung sakit. Kung maaalala niyo kung hindi pa nangamatay yung mga puti hindi pa mailantad yung pagkalat ng SARS.

happyman / April 30, 2009

New York? :wow:

Dito sa NYC, mukha naman walang paki ang mga tao, pero I read sa news naubos na daw ang face masks sa pharmacies pero wala naman ako nakikitang ganun dito. Center of the news na naman. Kasi sa New York pinakamaraming affected ng swine flu sa US and there’s already one casualty.

i_luv_u / April 30, 2009

Somehow, this reminded me of the plot of Stephen King’s “The Stand”… Creepy. :amazed:

inkyuboz / April 29, 2009**

Same here. Hindi pa mandin ako nakatulog sa book na yun. :amazed:

eristine / April 30, 2009

Kamusta naman na paranoid na naman ako kanina kasi open bus ang sinakyan ko sa SLEX tapos pagdungaw ko may coaster na may mga sakay na baboy.

Paranoid.

Kung may confirmed case na sa Korea aba palapit na siya ng palapit! Meron na rin sa New Zealand di ba? It seems to be closing in on us.

ihcahieh / April 30, 2009

Posted from a Yahoo News article link no longer valid.

The swine flu outbreak that has alarmed the world for a week now appears less ominous, with the virus showing little staying power in the hardest-hit cities and scientists suggesting it lacks the genetic fortitude of past killer bugs.

In New York City, which has the most confirmed swine flu cases in the U.S. with 49, swine flu has not spread far beyond cases linked to one Catholic school. In Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught it.

A flu expert said he sees no reason to believe the virus is particularly lethal. And a federal scientist said the germ’s genetic makeup lacks some traits seen in the deadly 1918 flu pandemic strain and the more recent killer bird flu.

happyman / May 2, 2009

Buti na lang hindi pa tayo pinapasok ng virus na ito. In fairnes to the government agencies concerned, gumagawa na sila ng precautionary measures to avoid the lethal influenza.

At pati na rin sa kanya- kayang local government, ikinakampanya din ang awareness tungkol sa H1N1 virus na ito.

snowprincess / May 4, 2009

It hasn’t reached Southeast Asia yet. And China/S. Korea only have one each. That’s good.

ihcahieh / May 4, 2009

Presidential adviser na ba 'to? :point_down: :hahaha:

Pero feeling ko ok lang ito. We will survive dahil malaking percentage ng mundo ang mahihirap at nasa slums sa Pilipinas. Ang daming nakatira sa estero, sa ilalim ng tulay, sa tambakan ng basura. Mygulay, they live and breathe bacteria and viruses, so baka masinok lang sila H1N1 virus na yan :laugh:

bibengpanget / May 6, 2009

3 Likes

Just got the news na may 1 confirmed case na ng swine flu (+2 suspected) sa Metropolitan Hospital sa Sta.Cruz, Manila right now. Di pa nirerelease sa media.

I know this because nurse yung sister ng officemate ko dun sa hospital and nandun pa sila ngaun di pa sila pinapauwi.

Scary :amazed:

takayeshi / May 7, 2009

How can Metropolitan Hospital confirm that when only RITM and San Lazaro have the technology and the facility to detect if the patient is positive for H1N1?

leela / May 7, 2009

If i remember it right, no facility in the Phils has the capability to confirm if a person has H1N1 so they sent the samples to Australia

Ace_Balasador_XP / May 7, 2009

^^^Ah, so hindi pa confirmed. Kasi kung sa San Lazaro pa lang, testing pa lang ang gagawin dun.

Ace_Balasador_XP wrote:

if i remember it right, no facility in the Phils has the capability to confirm if a person has H1N1 so they sent the samples to Australia

Scientists from a pharma company has developed the technology to evaluate if a patient has H1N1. The technology has already been shared with DOH.

Ito naman yung procedures ng verification, from GMAnews:

To confirm the cases, the DOH will first have to identify if the flu virus that plagued the patients were a Type A influenza. If found to be so, the virus will then have to be further identified as either Hemagglutinin 1 (H1) or H3.

“Kapag negative po sa H1 at H3, tsaka pa lang namin ika-classify na probable case ito [If the virus was not identified as an H1 or H3, only then can we call this a probable case],” Tayag earlier said.

The swab sample obtained from a probable case will then be brought to a laboratory in Melbourne, Australia to finally ascertain if the virus is an Influenza A (H1N1).

Tayag said Hemagglutinin and Neuraminidase (as in N1) are types of proteins commonly present in flu viruses. He said that medical science has so far identified 16 types of Hemagglutinin and 9 types of Neuraminidase

leela / May 8, 2009

DOH is doing a great job. Kahit suspected cases pa lang, nagre-report na agad sila sa media.

Tingnan ninyo yung sa Thailand, nireport nila yung first case nung nakauwi na yung patient.

leela / May 15, 2009

DOH is indeed doing a good job in preventing the entry of the virus but this doesn’t mean that we can sit back and relax now since meron nang confirmed case sa Thailand. But I hope the government keeps it up. :aprub:

Lu1_Marie / May 16, 2009

Meron na nga daw dito sa Asia pero salamat pa rin at wala pa rin dito sa Pinas. Ambilis kumalat ng H1N1 virus pero until now hindi pa rin tayo inaabot.

Kudos to our DOH dahil nagagawa nilang ihandle ang concern na ito with ease. Talagang attentive sila para hindi na nga naman tayo mamroblema ng mabigat in the future. Maganda rin ito kasi walang nagpapanic on our end.

snowprincess / May 18, 2009