Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (TV Show)

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Let’s talk about John Oliver’s weekly talk show on HBO. You know, the one that has witty one-liners when introducing a topic. Or that show that aired after Game of Thrones

From Trump, MLM, televangelists, FIFA, internet neutrality, his interview with Edward Snowden, his takedown of Dr. Oz, paid family leave - his subjects range from mainstream to mundane.

And you do not need a HBO subscription to watch, as the main story for each week’s episodes can be found in the show’s YouTube channel.

1 Like

I watch every week it’s on. Bakit kaya walang similar shows in the Philippines? Interestingly, John Oliver can even make jokes about their “business daddy” :laugh:

1 Like

I’ve only watched a few episodes. I’m amazed at how he can make serious issues funny without actually making fun of them.

Slightly off-T: nasa Community pala siya which I just started rewatching.

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan! And Now, This! :smash:

my theory: because networks conceptualize shows based on how much its gonna make money by viewership and they figure that this will not really attract the amount of viewership that they want. But I think they would be wrong, kasi I grew up listening to talk radio. Pnag-probinsya pa nga yun eh. they should totally do one like this!

2 Likes

They’ve tried the late night talk show format at least pero ang… meh? Haha. Di ba meron si Arnold Clavio? I remember meron si Martin Nievera din noon eh. Walang kasing kalibre ni John Oliver (or Stephen Colbert/ Trevor Noah).

Would you also agree na the majority of Filipinos don’t appreciate satire? :laugh: Sana may gumawa ng study!

Anyway we need a show like LWTWJO kasi ang fragmented ng discourse sa Pilipinas. Kapag naka-base kasi sa news cycle ang diskurso, ang daling makalimot ng mga tao. I love watching this show because it discusses a topic so coherently. (Kaya rin ako masaya na bumalik Peyups kasi ganito rin problema sa FB at Twitter–fragmented discussions only held together by hashtags. At least dito puwede mo balikan lahat ng replies. :aprub:)