Just created an account a few hours ago. Quite a few of my friends started moving there and I checked it out just to see what the fuss is about.
It bills itself as a free-ier and more privacy conscious alternative to Facebook.
- No ads
- No algorithmic feed (daw)
- Will never sell your data (supposedly)
- Has a paid tier (which means they won’t be incentivized to sell your data as they have other revenue sources)
- Has lots of flat earthers, antivaxxers, and white supremacists (though hopefully you never have to interact with them)
- Yet another social network
My main gripe is that the CEO takes a a laissez faire attitude towards content moderation which makes it the perfect place for white supremacists and their ilk. On the other hand, the lack of algorithmic feeds and ad-based business model is refreshing. Theoretically, this will not push sensationalist and click baity content onto you and it should slow down the spread of disinformation. How’s your MeWe experience?