Biggest pros and cons sa work mo ngayon

Pros

• Born and raised kasi ako in Bulacan pero since college until 2+ years back, sa Manila umikot mundo ko. Then I stumbled upon my current job sa linkedin na 7mins away, door-to-door lang samin. BEST. DECISION. OF. MY. LIFE
  • Di ako philantrophic pero naramdaman ko yung magandang values system ng company. Maliliit na Magsasaka ang main suppliers and customers namin. Bilang finance I cringe at some of the financial decisions na ginagawa ng kumpanya. Pero bilang tao, laki ng respeto ko sa kumpanya dahil ginagawa ng kumpanya yung mga desisyon na yon para sa ikabubuti ng mga magsasaka.

Cons

• Dahil nasa-probinsya, Minsan ang hirap ielevate ng mga tao sa standards na gusto mo, dahil mostly nakagawian na ang mga bagay bagay. Good thing eh progressive thinker yung GM namin na halos kasabay ko lang pumasok sa kumpanya so aligned kami sa goals.
  • Very traditional din ang work culture. May time in/out, bilangan ng oras sa office, etc. Blessing in disguise yung COVID kasi nagkaron ng push to re-think the company culture.
    -Maliit nalang yung chance na tumaas sweldo ko compared to if sa manila ako nagstay :joy: pero for the perks of living close to home without the toxicity of Manila? I’d say I’d choose the lower sweldo any time.
3 Likes

PRO

I don’t to get out of the house and walk 2 kilometers to get to the office.

CON

Hirap magbalance ng work and house chores.

1 Like

Pros:
New team, diverse backgrounds
Youngish manager na hindi micro manager
WFH
Travel

Cons:
Boundaries, i.e. how do I “shut off”?
Dami work lagi
Diff. timezones
Feeling ko di balance sweldo sa workload

1 Like

Pros:

• No need to report to the office every day (pre-lockdown). Kung walang schedule, bahay lang ako or pwedeng gumala. :lol:
  • I get to plot/dictate my schedules. Kung wala ako sa mood magtrabaho ng isang linggo, pwede kong iwasan that particular week.
  • Very experienced boss and respected in our industry.
  • I get to work with diverse production houses, post-production houses, audio houses, ad agencies, brands.

Cons:

• Long work hours. May one project ako na 4 straight days ang shoot, walang uwian.
  • Advertising is evolving. Everyone’s going digital. Our clients had to cut production costs and media money. So kind of a challenge on my end to produce multiple materials within the allotted budget.
  • No project, no pay.
1 Like

Pros:

• professional colleagues and supervisors
  • magaling ang mentorship ng mga boss
  • first name basis ang tawagan, no maams or sirs
  • the pay is 4x I used to receive when I was in Manila
  • company benefits are good
  • flexi time, so kapag tapos na ang assignment, relaxed na

Cons:

• stressful deadlines
  • isolated from family and friends
  • language barrier
  • may times na wala na halos tulog dahil sa haba ng work period and the need to beat the deadline
  • physically exhausting mag-shoot
3 Likes

Pros

• Flexible working hours
  • Can work remotely (even pre-COVID)
  • Getting to do research on space and satellites
  • Working with a diverse team of scientists and engineers
  • The pay is good (for a research project anyway)
  • An awesome boss

Cons

• Delayed salaries (by as long as six months)
  • No benefits. No employer-employee relationship with UP. Doesn’t count as government service either
  • No career progression. No mentorship.
  • Petty politics with other projects
  • Not enough time to do technical stuff (more of management now)

The pros outweigh the cons for me for now. Might have to re-evaluate by the end of the year though. As nice as it is to do research, being a precariat in these uncertain times might not be such a good idea.

5 Likes

Pros:

• Reputation of the organization
  • Salary and benefits
  • International network
  • Multi-cultural workforce with varying expertise
  • Travel and learning opportunities.

Cons:

• Demanding and long work hours especially during emergencies.
  • Faux experts and inefficient staff. Shocking that I know someone who can’t even upload files on Google drive.
  • “Competitive” career advancement. Mapapa-isip ka na lang minsan paano nakapasok ang ibang staff, yun pala mas may opportunities yung “priority” countries.

This was my dream job and I’ve been working with the organization for six years already. It’s a rewarding job and so far I haven’t had any bad experience (aside from a few open mouth insert foot situations :embarasslaff:).

3 Likes

Pros

• Diverse group of people with their own backstories yet they all adhere to the same core values I uphold
  • Endless opportunities for traveling, education, career progression, mentorship, training, technical skills
  • Excellent pay, pension, and health care benefits
  • Can’t put a price on camaraderie and sense of belonging

Cons

• You can’t just quit while under contract (unless extenuating circumstances)
  • Moving every 3-4 years and you don’t get to pick which location (needs of the job comes first)
  • You have to adhere to structure and let go of individuality. Also must maintain mental and physical fitness to be ‘ready’ at all times
  • Deployments to austere locations that can be dangerous and you can be geographically separated from your family for months to over a year (job dependent)

The cons are really not cons to me personally but I know that those are big deal breakers for some. I am one of the lucky ducks to land my dream job and wouldn’t trade it for anything else.

3 Likes

Pros:
1.Malapit sa bahay
2. Sakto lang workload, nakakauwi ng 5:30 most of the time

Cons:

1. No vertical growth. They would rather hire from the outside pag may managers na umaalis. Hirap magmotivate ng talented FAs na wag umalis.
  2. Signed up for a Financial Planning role pero si boss hilig pumulis at magpalaki ng mga bagay na wala namang impact financially. Sayang sa oras na sana ginamit ko for Partnering.
  3. Alam nila na maraming pera si company so as a Finance person, hindi ako agree sa ibang spend na alam ko namang avoidable/hindi makakatulong sa company and dapat ginamit sa ibang mas worthwhile na mga programs pero go pa rin si management.
2 Likes