Lessons/Values from UP Life

Critical thinking talaga. Tapos respect for other people’s choices and beliefs. At hindi ikaw yung pinakamagaling. Patience rin (lalo na sa reg)

5 Likes

Humility, tolerance, resilience, respect for others, adaptability, patience, hard work

Seriously, yung tolerance pinakaimportant sa akin lalo na in a more international setting at super diverse ng taong nakakahalubilo mo on a daily basis.

4 Likes

The way of life in UP is not necessarily the actual template on how you should live your life. The two can be drastically different.

I mean, if you put all your “critical thinking” into criticizing the system of your workplace, then you have better chances of getting fired than the random humble employee who knows how to shut up and just do his job.

You may end up having a boss who’ll envy your school (i.e., he did not come from UP), who may not be as much of a critical thinker as you are. And when shit hits the fan, you the regular employee is far more disposable than you boss.

Get to know other people. Preferably people from other schools. They may have an idea that can be alternative, or something complementary, to the things that UP taught you. Only when you are open to other ideas can you have a clearer picture on what your outlook should be on your life after UP.

10 Likes

Grit… open-mindedness balanced with critical thinking

And yes i echo everyone who said humility, esp intellectual humility

9 Likes

EQ over IQ. UP does not promote open mindedness these days though.

3 Likes

:tama:

I find this more so sa asawa ko, setting goals and follow through - and would hope we instill it in our child.

2 Likes

Same!

Also, that I am not as smart as I thought I was in GS/HS :lol: Good eye opener though. Natutunan ko early on to be open to others’ POVs that may differ from my own but still valid.

4 Likes

Perseverance and Patience. You would need a lot of it in real life.

3 Likes

I still have that last man standing mentality. It took awhile before I learned to choose my bottles. este battles.

3 Likes

Di sapat matalino ka lang, dapat masipag din.
Critical thinking.
Adaptability.
+1 sa grit
And do not be anyone’s doormat. Fight for when you’re right, and accept/apologize where appropriate.

6 Likes

Aanhin ang kakayahan, kung ikaw lang ang makikinabang?

3 Likes

eto ang tumatak na lesson sa isip ko from a favorite math prof :latin_cross: :

Life is never fair, so don’t you dare ask why life is unfair.

2 Likes

Diskarte. Natuto akong gawing posible ang minsan ay imposible.

4 Likes

Tama! 'Ika nga, Nothing is impossible.

1 Like

Thinking on your feet. Very useful sa current work ko. Or this is probably why I got the job. :hihi:

Dati kasi tahimik lang ako nung high school. So sa akin, speaking up and being assertive. Hindi pwede ang mahiyain at tatahimik-tahimik lang. Others may take advantage especially during group work/reports if you don’t complain or you don’t speak up.

4 Likes

Risk taking
Being bold, unafraid
Not settling
Excellence

2 Likes

It’s not about you. You owe it to the people. Wag kalimutan ang paninindigan

2 Likes

Natuto akong pumila… perfect sa times ngayon… :rofl:

4 Likes

Sa work namin and especially now, parang ang natutunan ko from UP especially when you lack resources or things are difficult but you got to push through…

“We find ways”

And also, as mentioned in the thread, GRIT.

2 Likes