50 Shades of Adobo

+1 sa Dinengdeng. :aprub:

1 Like

Still can’t… she can’t take the smell of pork… cooked or not :joy:

Because “beef adobo” is Bistek Tagalog? :headscratch:

Kung mapapadpad kayo ng Puerto Princesa, there is a restaurant near the old airport called La Terrasse that serves this glorious thing called Adobo Overload. It’s fall-off-the-bone adobo (chicken and/or pork), na vinegar-y ang meat pero saucy, plus chicken adobo flakes, served with adobo rice, chicharon bits on top, tapos nakabukod ang sauce na saktong balanse ng sabawness-oiliness. Side of green mango salad.

2 Likes

Yung Adobo sa gata, okay naman, extra creamy with a slight tamis. Yan ang favorite ng husband ko na adobo. But for me mas gusto ko yung mestizo style , yung madaming suka at mabawang tapos medyo nagmamantika.

1 Like

Batangas adobo, yung walang sabaw. :aprub:

Ok din yung may sabaw na adobo tapos may pineapple tidbits.

Dahil walang rice :disappointed_relieved:, quinoa substitute
Phase 2 ng adobo… fried parang pulled pork… kase walang pork :laughing:
image image

2 Likes

But bistek is kalamansi and soy sauce (and sugar). And bida is onion instead of garlic.

Laki ng problema ko :embarasslaff:

2 Likes

^shucks natakam naman ako sa bistek na marinated in kalamansi! But we just got news that may beef shortage na dito. Wendy’s no longer serving burgers. Its the beginning of the end.

Hindi ba mas “beef adobo” ang pares though medyo matamis?

1 Like

Ah. The difference naman with pares is the star anise.

So parang ang beef ay really meant for something else, not adobo. :grin:

:amazed:

1 Like

Pag naglalagay ako ng patatas sa adobo, I first dredge potato blocks in a bit of flour, crushed peppercorns, and salt, before frying. Skin on din ang potatoes. I have a bit of no-longer-best-for-drinking wine that I’m tempted to use for reduction, kaso baka chaka ang kalabasan.

2 Likes

Ayaw ko masabaw na adobo, i feel like it’ll just be sinigang with toyo. Kaya mega reduction talaga ang sabaw para mabawasan.

3 Likes

Chicken + pork combo parati ako. More chicken though. Then twice cooked - papakuluan ko muna dun sa sauce nya na toyo, suka, and chicken broth. Tapos pag luto na, fry the meats. Tapos optional kung ibabalik pa dun sa sauce to boil in again, or on the side na lang ang sauce with crispy fried adobo. Hehe.

4 Likes

For me, adobo + rice + softdrinks. Okay na ako diyan. Wala akong ibang maisip na bagay na gulay para sa adobo. Pero pwedeng side dish sa adobo yung hinog na mangga. Natatakam tuloy ako. :lol:

Soft drinks. :aprub:
Specifically, coca cola :hihi:

1 Like

My fave adobo is chicken and short ribs. Ayoko ng lean pork adobo kulang sa flavor. Need ng taba talaga (even as I dont eat the taba myself).

My sabaw is the loving middle between masabaw and sticky-saucy. The salt-acid factor beats the sweet by just that much. Namumutakti sa whole crushed cloves of fresh garlic when available. Yung nakaboteng minced garlic if wala and/or lazy. Whole peppercorns. Onions na halos nalulusaw na. Bay leaves.
When im feeling extra, I add strong ginger ale or sprite. Dash of worcestershire sauce. I have tried many tricks ive read… yung pan sear muna… or bake in oven after boiling to further reduce yung sabaw… or marinate for at least 30 minutes before cooking…but none of these make a significant difference to justify the additional time and effort. It’s really best how I’ve always had it from my childhood… one pot magic. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cover and just let it be for at least 40 minutes. As in 40 minutes for best results. Kasi takot ako gumamit ng instant pot without the hubby around :joy: adobo is also better na left over because the flavors marry overnight. Mas nasu soak ng meat.

My fave sides:

1. Steamed green beans
  2. Mango-tomato-cucumber medley (no dressing)
  3. Steamed squash and zucchini
  4. Ang walang kamatayang achara
    Still looking for fresh ideas as sides to adobo…
2 Likes

Ang turo ng parentals is to simmer the meat in the mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, lots of garlic, pepper (i used the ground version, para bawas disgrasya pagkain) and bay leaves over low fire, tapos haluin.

If sinisipag ako and, I want to toast the meat a bit (or in the case of pork fat, mej matusta yung taba), i take out the sauce and then fry a bit (parentals call it sangkutsa) and then bring back the sauce to simmer.

Kapag tinatamad ako, I just let everything simmer whlie I shower. Works when I was living overseas.

1 Like

Aww too bad! Is it for religious reasons? Ehh, chicken adobo is good enough!

Wife is a secular Jew,
Won’t eat it for historical reasons.
Not available in regular groceries here so
Ill have to go to a regular market…
too much hassle for 1 item.