A date with yourself

This is one of the things I miss doing while on ECQ. I do love being and spending time with my family, but sometimes, I just need to have a date with myself. It allows me to breathe and just reconnect with the things I want and enjoy doing alone (shopping being one of them :joy:).

Do you also do this? What do you usually do, where do you go? If youā€™re with a partner, how do you explain it to them?

6 Likes

Yeah, shopping alone, not necessarily buying stuff but just making tambay at the nearest mall. Iā€™m a mallrat, always will be, I suspect.
After a stressful day at work, Iā€™d hit the nearest mall. Look at the shoes, minsan look at the clothes, head to Muji, or Uniqlo, maybe buy some bread, play pokemon go, and then head home.

3 Likes

I do this a lot pag nasa Pinas ako (lalo na in my 20s-30s). I go to the movies alone, shop and have coffee with myself, eat a nice meal. I like my company actually. :grin:

2 Likes

This is meā€¦ but extremely at it. I always demand for my me-time. Friends would call it my ā€œCocoon Martinā€ moments when I just want to be alone and hide away from the social world. Iā€™m comfortable going out, eating out, doing things alone. When friends wonder how I donā€™t get bored, I tell them, I can entertain myself.

I believe with the right balance, the upside is that this is healthy, this promotes improving self-awareness and self-love. And when you know you donā€™t need somebody just to fill a void, thatā€™s when you become ready to share your life with another person.

7 Likes

Not weird at all. I date me, too. Coffee date mostly, kahit sa 711 lang or some nice coffee shop. Before ECQ Iā€™d drive around Nuvali then walk around the park. Nung sa QC pa kami nakatira, I used to go to Main Lib para makipag-date sa sarili. Now, sa bookstore nalang. Last time was in Evia sa Fully Booked. :inlove:

3 Likes

I date myself every lunch time on Fridays pre-ECQ. I also enjoy doing the grocery alone, napakasoothing para sa akin.

I also make time to travel solo abroad, sobrang naenjoy ko yung nag HK ako mag-isa. Wala akong ibang iniisip na tao, sariling pace, etc.

2 Likes

It was so much easier when I was single. Now that i have a fam, i explained to my husband how important this is to my sanity :joy: especially the first few months after having a baby. I actually encouraged him to do the same. So now we take turns. Hehe.

Surprisingly, madami akong friends who canā€™t even dine alone. Feeling daw nila weird. :dunno:

2 Likes

This is what Iā€™ve been doing for many years while Iā€™m single. I just need that ME time. I spoil myself - movies, spa, travel, shopping, food trip, and what-have-you. I donā€™t find it weird. Itā€™s just so peaceful to be alone. Recharged lagi ako when I do this.

I still have a date with myself from time to time. Recently, the hubby let me go get massages or get my hair washed sa parlor, or bike around when restrictions were lifted here. We respect each otherā€™s me time. I think that also helps us as individuals in marriage kasi we can recharge before sumabak as a couple and as parents everyday.

5 Likes

Kumuha ako ng annual membership dati sa Ayala Museum so may free access ako kapag may new exhibit. I usually spend an afternoon there, tapos kain, tapos window shop sa Crate & Barrel at bibili ng items from the clearance section, o kaya a few pieces of dinnerware (hanggang dun lang budget :lol:). Tapos kukuha ng idea sa furniture nila kung may mahahanap akong similar na mas mura. I also enjoy window shopping at Ace Hardware and True Value (na-miss ko 'to kasi walang same setup na hardware store dito). Nililibot ko lahat para pag may kailangan ako alam ko na saang section makikita. When overseas, enjoy din ako maglibot mag isa sa museums kasi minsan yung mga kasama ko gusto lang mag shopping.

4 Likes

When I lived alone overseas, I learned to do a lot of things by myselfā€“eat, shop, watch movies, hang out in bars (pero di ako napick-up). I learned to enjoy having all the time to yourself, na wala kang iisiping considerations ng mga gusto at trip ng iba. It also helped that I lived in an area where everything I need (malls, cinemas, shops, etc) are walking distance.

Going home and living with family, I really had to demand for that me timeā€“kahit ilang oras lang for a weekend to go out of the house and do the things I want to do. I get manipeds, facials and waxing, then treat myself to a movie and/or dinner. Then I walk home.

3 Likes

Favorite kong date with myself - mag bike sa UP after work tapos tambay sa sunken garden at panoorin ang langit.

Ito pinaka namimiss ko ngayong ECQ :sad:

3 Likes

Sa dati kong work I used to do this a lot. Malapit kasi kami sa Rockwell. I think I enjoyed it kasi lunch was the time I would brood about things.

One time sabi ng officemate ko: nakita kita sa Rockwell, mag-isa ka lang pero parang ansaya-saya mo :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™d rather be alone than be with company na napilitan lang.

3 Likes

Either magpapaiwan ako sa coffeeshop while @karl goes to the office or fetches the kids or maglilibot sa mall habang siya naman ang nasa coffeeshop.

1 Like

Always a bowl of chirashi or union at payday in Little Tokyo. I donā€™t get to go on dates anymore. Last romantic date was a year ago, or so.

2 Likes

I do this, too. I enjoy eating alone. I also shop alone, I go to bookstores, I watch movies, sometimes I even go to karaoke places alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Eto din gusto ko ginagawa. Uupo sa isang sulok with coffee and magbabasa/magdaydream/magsusulat.

Isa ito sa mga namimiss ko when I was still single - date with myself. Dati every Friday after work, napunta ako sa mall para magtingin-tingin, bumili if may magustuhan and kumain mag-isa. Nag-eenjoy naman ako kahit mag-isa ako. Actually mas naeenjoy ko siya kesa may kasama ako kasi mas nagagawa ko ang mga gusto ko. Ngayong may family na ko, trip to the grocery na lang ang me-time ko which is nawala pa due to ecq.

1 Like

I do this every single day. I love myself that much haha.

1 Like

Doing this once in a while to clear my head. Also, ang sarap lang sa feeling na wala kang ibang iniintindi minsan.

1 Like

I tried dating myself in UP before, years after I graduated. I ate at Beach house, walked around Sunken Garden, attended mass at UP Chapel and played solo games of billiards and duckpin bowling. I never had so much fun!

1 Like